Some of the other tools that we have been taught through this process have been much more fun, but I think this is the most important tool yet. Being a good digital citizen is of the utmost importance, and is something that I think falls on the teachers to teach.
What would I like my students to understand about being a good digital citizen?
1. There is tons of great information out there on the internet, and it is accessible to you. Many of my students only skim the surface of what is available to them, using just the cursory things like MySpace and YouTube, without really using the hundreds and thousands of other worthwhile things that are out there to help them learn and express what they've learned.
2. Not everything that you read on the internet is true!!! This really should be my #1. It is always a struggle with my students during the year, who decide that because they read it on the internet, it must be factual!! I try to explain that any old person can put any old thing out there, but they just assume that because they see it on a screen, it is gospel!! AUGH!!
3. Now that I am working with middle schoolers, I think it is so important to teach them about internet safety/etiquette. If you put it on the internet, it is out there and others can access it....even if you delete it. There is a sense of autonomy with kids, because they are doing something at home they feel protected and safe. They don't realize how easy it is for things to get out there and be out there forever. Use your head!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment